Client: SUNY Stony Brook
Location: Ranomafana National Park, Madagascar
Project Scope: Provided M/E/P/FP design services for a new $11.6 million, 15,000 SF research facility with multiple labs, verandas and living quarters.
- Added water purification and conservation system to remove water from nearby stream and filter it for use
- Implemented solar panels to aid in heating water and power electrical systems
- VRV HVAC system provides differing temperature and humidity control
- Designed atrium with paddle fans for natural stack ventilation and air circulation
- Daylight design strategies and lighting dimming controls used to improve energy efficiency
- Incorporated local and renewable materials such as bamboo, clay bricks and granite blocks
Results: This project earned an ACEC Platinum Award.